- Have you been waiting for Android Lollipop OTA update for your Moto G (as promised by Motorola) and still haven't got it?
- Would you be interested in manually installing the official version of Lollipop on your Moto G (1st Gen)?
Motorola recently started sending out over-the-air updates of its Lollipop firmware to 1st generation Moto G's all around the globe. However, these updates are being sent in batches and a lot of people are yet to receive it.
Having experienced Lollipop on my Nexus 5, I really really wanted to install it on my Moto G as well. If you are as impatient as I am and can't wait for an OTA update from Motorola, please follow this tutorial to install the official version of Lollipop for your Moto G.
The reason I say 'Official' is because the file that we are going to use in this upgrade is an OTA file that was sent by Motorola to a Moto G user and was successfully grabbed by one of the developers at XDA. With the help of this file, I successfully flashed Lollipop on my Moto G (XT1033) and have been using it without any issues.
- This procedure currently only works for the dual-sim (XT1033) Moto G.
- Your Moto G needs to be running the stock KitKat firmware.
- It doesn't matter if your Moto G is rooted and/or has its bootloader unlocked.
- Backup all important information on your phone. Although this OTA update will not erase any data, its always advisable to backup important data.
- The battery level should be more than 25%. (I suggest charging over 90%)
- Download the Lollipop update zip file from the link mentioned below and save it onto the internal memory of your Moto G. Do not save it deep into any folder, paste it in the first directory.
- Rename the file you download:
Blur_Version.220.21.28.falcon_umtsds.AsiaRetail.en.03.zip (Ignore this step if it is already renamed)
- On your Moto G running KitKat, head onto Settings > About Phone > and select 'System Updates'
- Your Moto G would now give you an update available page.
- Hit Yes and continue the installation process.
This update will install Android Lollipop 5.0.2 on your Moto G and may take a while to finish so please be patient. After the installation completes, your device would boot into the new Lollipop firmware. Complete the initial installation and enjoy using Lollipop!
Download link: http://goo.gl/zUcVEf
Also Read: How to find your lost phone in 30 seconds